Sunday, December 18, 2011

Apostates - Burning World of Hate Ep

Here is a fairly obscure release from a band on the fringe of the NY punk scene in the late 80s and early 90s.  Apostates appeared on some NY punk compilations, notably Squat or Rot, Vol. 2 - along with Jesus Chrust, Yuppicide and others.  This 7" was released soon after and featured the song from that comp. with 2 additional tracks.  Apostates had a distinctive sound and were unlike most other NYHC bands of the time.  This record has a real anarcho-punk meets folk rock feel to it.  For reference, I'd compare it to the Pollution Circus Ep I posted a while back, or to some of that first Terminus Lp.  Apparently the band went in a more Goth direction after this record, though I've not heard anything else from them.  They have a site with the band's history and activities these days.  Whatever became of them, this Ep is a great record with an unconventional sound.

Apostates - Burning World of Hate Ep

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I wanted to get this back when it came out, but poverty limited my record budget significantly. I was really surprised at how good it is. The late eighties/early nineties punk scene is criminally underrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a live Apostates/Jesus Chrust split cassette that I utterly loved. The JC was so good with hilarious banter between sounds. Neil's "Aww, must've been the lentils man. Sorry." is a line I still use in certain company. :) I so wish I still had it. Blownapart covered a JC song from that tape," Highlight of the 19th year of my life was playing that at ABC No Rio in front of Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any chance that you could upload this again? I just saw this post and would love to hear it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete