Friday, October 8, 2010

Various - They Don't Get Paid, They Don't Get Laid, But Boy Do They Work Hard!


Up next is a great compilation from back in 1989.  Put out by Maximum Rocknroll records, here is "They Don't Get Paid, They Don't Get Laid, But Boy Do They Work Hard".  14 tracks of U.S. punk and hardcore... a very representative sampling of the U.S. scene at the time.  This one has some crust (Nausea and Apocalypse),  a lot of  straight up hardcore (Christ On A Crutch, Detonators, Dead Silence), a little pop-punk (Cringer), even some ska-core (Downfall), which was all the rage at the time.  This compilation has a special place in my heart ever since a buddy of mine in high school gave me a tape with this record on one side and Christ On Parade on the other.  A very formative cassette to say the least. 

Here's the full tracklist:

The Detonators - Denied
Amenity - Follow
Christ On A Crutch - Nation of Sheep
Nausea - Clutches
Apocalypse - Techno-Doom
Conspiracy of Equals - Is It Right?
Screeching Weasel - This Bud's For Me
Jawbox - Bullet Park
Dissent - Superman
Downfall - Long Way to Go
Dead Silence - Hope
Cringer - Pay to Play
Bazooka Joe - Phoenix
Libido Boyz - Mr. Greenthumb

Everyone of these songs is great... from the best tracks ever by the Detonators, Screeching Weasel, Christ On A Crutch and Apocalypse, to hidden gems like Conspiracy of Equals, Bazooka Joe and the Libido Boyz.  You'll be hearing some more from these lesser known bands on this blog in the future.  For now, though, check out this rad comp., one which introduced me to a whole new level of DIY punk and hardcore when I was a teenager. 

V/A They Don't Get Paid, They Don't Get Laid...

8 comments:

  1. I figure as a Carolina guy ou probably know it already, but the Bazooka Joe 7" is pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yessir... both of their Eps will be making an appearance here shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks mike. found your blog via rockin' noiz blog. i was kind of 'getting out' of punk at the end of the 80s/early 90s so a lot of your files are new to me. i'm going to enjoy working my way through them. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The record also came with a booklet with pages made from the bands and several underground publications (zines). Of which I was asked to make a page for Absolutely Zippo. I was only 15 yrs old so it was a big deal getting space. I goofed it and made a cheesy page. But the other pages are dynamic--cool. Even cooler was that MR&R sent us checks for being on it. $100-i could stop selling pot and acid for a month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa, awesome anecdote! Unfortunately my LP doesn't have the booklet so I've not actually seen it... need to find someone with a copy of it and make some scans!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, man! I really appreciate you uploading this! This there any chance of getting "Denied" by The Detonators in 320kbps though? I noticed the whole thing is in 320 except that one, so if you could, by any change at all, upload that one in 320 that'd be great! Again, I really appreciate you uploading this though! It's not a slam, I'm happy to have this at all. It's just me being anal retentive about my music files. lol

    ReplyDelete