Sunday, August 16, 2015

Uwharria

OK, it's been a little bit since I posted and honestly, life here has been fairly crazy as of late with some new developments requiring more time and attention than I am accustomed to, cutting in to my time that I can devote to the blog.  I'll try to keep coming up with posts when I am able but I can't promise there will be any regularity to them...  Anyways, with that out of the way, this post compiles most of the discography of North Carolina's eco-thrashers Uwharria.  From my home state and featuring members of Blownapart Bastards (as well as Rentamerica, Divide and Conquer, and even Oi Polloi) Uwharria played a chaotic brand of metallic hardcore that brings to mind late 80's crossover thrash - like later D.R.I. or Animosity-era C.O.C.  Rick from Blownapart's vocals remind me a bit of Blaine from the Accused on these tracks which only adds to the crossover feel...  All the lyrics concern wildlife and environmental issues (hence the "eco-thrash" tag) but with somewhat of a tongue-in-cheek attitude.  Song titles range from bird species like "Ivory-billed Woodpecker" and "Appalachian Skullcap," to the less than majestic like "Dung Beetles" and "Tick Attack."  Short-lived, Uwharria released a full length CD and a split CD with fellow N.C. punks Crimson Spectre.  I remember there also being a live CD that the band self-released but I never got my hands on that.  The link below has the full length as well as their half of the split CD, 24 tracks total.

Uwharria - "Fury in the Foothills" and Split with Crimson Spectre     

5 comments:

  1. can you post Divide And Conquer please.....keep up the good work dude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I wish I could... I don't have any Divide and Conquer recs, tho. I saw them twice I believe and both times were very early in their existence, shortly before I moved from NC and before they put anything out. For some reason I never got the records when they came out. I need to track them down, tho and if and when I do I'll definitely do a post. Until then, sorry I can't help.

      Delete
  2. Interesting one,i saw your article in your blog, very interesting to read. Keep sharing your blog post.
    Top Indian Astrologer London | Indian Best Astrologer in London | Best Indian Astrologer in UK

    ReplyDelete